It's been over a year since our last major update to the Dropbox API site. Version 0 was launched in July 2010 and has since run its course as our first baby step toward the great promise the API holds.
The API team at Dropbox has been working hard for the past few months and it's now finally time to show you what we've been doing. Without further ado, we're pleased to announce that the API v1 beta is now open!
There are a lot of things that have changed, but here are a few new v1 features we'd like to highlight:
- Official support for web apps.
- Reintroducing official support for "app folders" (formerly called "sandboxes")
- A totally revamped developers site with a new design, better documentation, and step-by-step tutorials to help you get started.
- New API calls, including improved file sharing and streaming, file name search, and support for file revisions.
- Improved upload options to handle possible conflicts and to avoid accidentally overwriting files.
- Improved security features, including a new single sign-on authorization flow for Android and iOS.
- Updated SDKs for iOS, Android, Python, Ruby, and Java that implement all of this new stuff, complete with comprehensive documentation.
We want to give you, our forums developers, first crack at the new API. Check out our forums for more info:
Please don't hesitate to send us feedback on anything from typos to server bugs. Can't wait to hear from you.
- The API Team